Thursday, November 02, 2006

most elaborate (and painful) dinner to date

as I have been cooking dinner almost every day, I am game to try out new recipes that I come across (otherwise, the standard meat staple every night is baked salmon fish, baked chicken or stir fried beef, with the occasional pork).

anyhow, I decided to try out this dish (the recipe was from an organic supermarket
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/list_value.html that we will patronise sometimes, but not too often as it can be quite expensive)

it is called "pork chops with maple apple acorn squash" - the recipe looks simple (but then again, all recipes always look easy until you tried them), but I think the difficult part is the acorn squash - it was so hard and I had a difficult time trying to cut it open. Then I had to melt butter and combine with apple, maple syrup and cinnamon to form the filling for the squash, and then bake them.

the pork chops was ok, except a drop of hot oil spilled onto my neck (ouch! left me with a small burn scar, which I am hoping will heal soon) when the pork chops went into the pan. Then i had to cook onions and thyme after that...

All in all, it was quite a "chaotic" kitchen scene that night, with so many pots, pans, plates, utensils around - all this for just one meal! anyway, check out the dishes...





3 comments:

hon said...

Did your apartment come equipped with all the cooking equipment; like food processor, juicer, that electronic whip thing (for baking)etc? How about a dish washing machine? That would certainly help ease the "pain" of cooking.

American tales said...

no, unfortunately, the apt only had basic furnishings - we only have stove and oven, not even microwave. But I don't intend to get any more cooking appliances, since we are only going to be here till June next yr. But we did buy a rice cooker (w a steaming dish), kettle and a sandwich maker - good enuff for now

Anonymous said...

wah....we are impressed.....but looks like hard labour (of love)...why not try some of my mum's "secret recipe" fast to cook and good to eat...not talking about instant noodles... :)