Monday, October 02, 2006

First day at work!

Started work as a store associate at the Stanford Store today. For this Fall Qtr, my working hours are 4 hours a week (yes, a week, not a day) from 9am to 1pm every Monday. Hourly pay is $8/hour (and this is before tax)...

The irony is, in order to work, I had to pay $180 to apply for a work permit and also get my social security number (SSN) (at this point in time, I am not sure whether I also have to pay application fees to get this SSN, but I won't be surprised if I had to...)

So basically, I am working for free for 6 weeks before I "breakeven"...=) But it has been a different experience - folding clothes and doing cashiering, and it gets me out of the apartment and meet people, so I am not really complaining...=)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Anna... wah.. new experience yah? gee, i hv nv dream abt working at a store. interesting... OWL

American tales said...

hi, it was all right lah, not many customers for 1st 2 hours or so, so I spent my time folding clothes...