Monday, October 16, 2006

my drawing classes






attended the "introduction to drawing" classes twice so far...

the teacher is a bit strange but maybe all artists are like this.

in the first class, he made us hold an object in our hands and feel it, without looking at it (but I sort of "cheated" unknowingly as my eyes were still open when he put it in fellow classmates' hands - he was trying to scare us earlier by implying it was an animal, so I was quite nervous about touching it with my eyes closed)

it is a small brown color prickly fruit from trees (imagine a minature durian)...we are not supposed to draw what we think it is, but rather draw our feelings, and what the object is trying to tell us...(damn abstract)

In the end, I drew a Hindu man carrying a kavadi during Deepavali, as I wanted to express the prickly sensation of the object in my hand. Then we were told to draw what we think it is...

Thank god the 2nd class is "more normal" - we were told to draw a stalk of leaves this time (although the teacher made us listen to some really weird trance-like music while we draw, saying that is his favourite kind of songs).

We were told to draw 3 drawings - the first one focuses on the object itself (what he calls "positive space"), the 2nd one attempts to draw the "negative space" between the object (e.g space between the leaves and/or the stalk), and the 3rd one is supposed to concentrate on the different shades and tones of the leaves...

Anyhow, these are my drawings....

No comments: